REVISED En Plein Air Prospectus
New Date: July 13 – September 7, 2023
Call For Entries: The Robeson Art Guild (RAG) is accepting entries for En Plein Air, our Fourth exhibition of 2023, featuring work showcasing the tonal qualities, color, loose brushwork, and softness of form of the changing details of weather and light that artists capture when they work outside, in the open air.
Special Announcement: The Domino Effect…
Unfortunately, the weather has taken a turn for the worst, and painting outside in a possible pouring thunderstorm does NOT seem a good idea! Therefore, we are reluctantly postponing the En Plein Air painting 2-day Workshop with Artist-in-Residence Ellen Burke to May 19 and 20. Rather than depriving the workshop students of a wonderful change to share their new work, the opening for the En Plein Air Exhibition has been moved to July 13. Of course, you don’t have to take Ellen’s workshop to exhibit! We just want to ensure that anyone who wants to, can! Devote time to pursuing your art, learning new skills, and expanding your personal painting experience. Each day will cover 5-hours to work in and around Lumberton, North Carolina, plus a one-hour break to relax and enjoy lunch with Ellen and your fellow students.! Click here for our recent post about Ellen Burke and see a small gallery of her work.
Click here to Register for the En Plein Air Workshop today, before all the places are gone! Class participation is not required to enter artwork in the exhibition.
The Robeson Art Guild will be supporting our regional artists’ work for the En Plein Air Exhibition by sponsoring Ellen Burke’s Artist Residency
April 28-29 May 19-20 for our member artists. The workshop will be held in the gardens of Dr. Paul Baker’s home at 1401 Elm Street, Lumberton.
Class participation is not required to enter artwork in the En Plein Air Exhibition.
The residency classes will be for two days; the hours will be from 10:00 am-5:00 PM with an hour for lunch and an hour for personal sketching. Artists will return to our garden location and work in their medium of choice but keeping the application of paint in “wash” consistency. Dr. Burke will open each class with notes and demos and help our artists work to achieve their distinct value, texture, visual images. The second day of work on location will end at 3:00 PM with photos and discussion of each work.
NOTE: Attendance at Ellen Burke’s classes is not required to
participate in the En Plein Air exhibition.
Artists are encouraged to complete en plein (“in the open air”) air work at home and prepare the work to hang locally for the May 9th submission date of the En Plein Air exhibition. All art submissions for the En Plein Air Exhibition are to be made at the Robeson Art Guild House, 109 W. 9th Street, Lumberton, NC 28359.
Submission Requirements: Artists may submit as many as three (3) entries for the En Plein Air Exhibition.
- An artist statement for each piece is encouraged and will be displayed if provided.
- Work cannot weigh more than 40 lbs. and cannot be more than 5 feet in any direction.
- Each 2-dimensional work must have secure hanging devices to hang safely.
- Each 3-dimensional work must have its own safe display device provided by the artist.
- Entries must be original, created within the past 2 years, and cannot have been exhibited at RAG previously.
- All media, including photography, photo montage and collage, are welcome.
- Artists’ photographs of their work are encouraged.
Fees: RAG members, $10 per piece; Non-member, $15 per piece; all sales will require a 20% commission to the Guild.
Judge: James Bass, Ed.D. – Executive Director, Givens Performing Art Centr
- First Place: $200
- Second Place $150
- Third Place $50
- Honorable Mention Ribbons
- Submissions Due: Tuesday, July 11, 2023. Entries are due and received at RAG (109 W 9th St., Lumberton), from 11:00 AM to 4:00 PM.
- Hanging Exhibits: Wednesday, July 12, 2023.
- Opening Reception: Thursday, July 13, 2023, from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM.
- Exhibit Ends: Thursday, September 7, 2023
- Art Removal: Art must remain on exhibit through the run of the Exhibition. The date for art removal is Thursday, September 7 between 11 am and 4:00 PM at RAG (109 W 9th St., Lumberton), or by appointment.
Art must remain on exhibit through the run of the exhibition. The date for En Plein Air art removal is Thursday, September 7 between 11 am and 4:00 PM at RAG (109 W 9th St., Lumberton), or by appointment.
Please note that all art must be removed when the exhibition closes. If you are unable to pick up your artwork during the scheduled time, contact us to make alternate arrangements. Artwork which is not picked up may be subject to additional fees.