Exhibit Title: SHAPE MAKER AND ENTERTAINER
Exhibit Summary: SHAPE MAKER AND ENTERTAINER focuses on the FACT nothing observed has lines around it or within it. Everything is perceived by overlapping objects and directional surfaces that have highlights and shadows.
Artists truly “came out of the dark” in the Renaissance and began pictorial representation in terms of light and shade. There was even a word for it: chiaroscuro, chiaro meaning light and oscuro meaning darkness. Artists also recognize that we can draw an object by drawing the space around that object. Thus, we became even more skilled at creating shapes without being dependent on non-existing lines around and within the object being portrayed. We became shape makers.
Our exhibition SHAPE MAKERS AND ENTERTAINER is seeking two and three-dimensional expression that gives emphasis to shapes NOT lines. We do also recognize the role of color both warm and cool as well as pattern that can be used to create shapes and entertain the viewer.
Submission Requirements: Artists are invited to submit a maximum of two works using these guidelines. Work cannot weigh more than 50 lbs. and cannot be more than 5 feet in any direction. Two-dimensional work must have adequate hanging devices and 3-D work must have its own support. Entries must be original and cannot have been exhibited at RAG previously. Photography, photo montage and collage are welcome.
Fee: RAG members, $20. Nonmember, $55 to cover membership.
Awards: $200 for 1st, $100 for 2nd, and $50 for highest popularity vote.
- Submissions Due: June 6, 2022, Entries are due and received at RAG (109 W 9th St., Lumberton), between 9:00-11:00 AM and 4:00-6:00 PM.
- Opening Reception: June 9, 2022, 6pm to 8pm
- Exhibit Ends: August 12, 2022
Presented by Nila Chamberlain
The Robeson Art Guild is accepting entries for our upcoming exhibition: TIME OUT!
This exhibition will be held at the Robeson Art Guild House located at 109 W9th St., Lumberton, NC 28358 from March 7- April 1, 2022.
- All artists in Robeson County age 12 and up
- All mediums are welcome
TIME OUT focuses on creative response to Covid 19. In the almost three years that we have been experiencing Covid 19, many of us have been living with depression and/or anxiety and have found ourselves unable to align with goals and peaceful living. Often, we have juggled family, health, debt and happiness with little satisfaction. We have become blocked creatives; and many have chosen to make major changes in their goals and in their life.
The goal of TIME OUT is the creative response to being hobbled by Covid. It is the visible expression of “Stop the world. . .. I want to get off.” Let us see what you have to say. What did you do while you were forced to stay home? How did you survive in your own, unique circumstances? Three years is a long time!
- Entries can weigh no more than 50 pounds and cannot exceed 5 ft in any direction.
- Two dimensional entries must be ready to hang safely.
- Three-dimensional work must have its own display column, table, or other safe display device.
All mediums are welcome.
- Entries are due at the Guild House on March 7 from 10:00 AM-12:00 noon and from 4:00-6:00 PM
- Entry forms and tape will be furnished on site.
- Opening reception is March 17th 6-8 PM. This will be in conjunction with our first General Membership Meeting.
Insurance: All work will be insured by RAG and each artist will be asked to determine insurance value in keeping with range of previously sold work.
Judge: Sandy Stratil
- First Place: $200
- Second Place $100
- People’s Choice $50
- Honorable Mention (3)
Robeson Art Guild
109 West 9th street
P. O. Box 437
Lumberton, N C 28358