January 5 – March 2, 2023
Call For Entries: The Robeson Art Guild (RAG) is accepting entries for Tongue in Cheek, our First exhibition of 2023. Our goal is to strengthen artistic response to all of life. . . to celebrate the art of
living well through Tongue in Cheek!
Culinary Arts is the theme of our first exhibition beginning January of 2023. We are asking our artists to create serious work that uses food, the history of food, the consumption of food, the process of food, containers for food, the pleasure of food. . . even the wearing of food and more as the subject of 2- and 3-dimensional work for this competition.
We began the foundation for the focus of Tongue in Cheek on December 2 with our first gift to 50 lucky RAG members. This gift is an evening with Chef Ingram, RCC’s Director of Culinary Baking and Pastry Art Director. We will enjoy three free gourmet hors-d’oeuvres prepared by Chef Ingram’s staff and cap the evening learning how to design and create a Christmas tree cake from handmade ginger cookies. Do make certain that you make your reservation for that evening.
*We will host a minimum of two more free culinary art gifts to RAG members during the January-March run of the Tongue in Cheek exhibitionfor the first 50 members who call to reserve when the dates are announced.
All art submissions for the exhibition are to be made at the Robeson Art Guild House, 109 W. 9th Street, Lumberton, NC 28359.
Submission Requirements: Artists may submit as many as three (3) entries for the Tongue in Cheek Exhibition. The registration fee is $10 per entry for members of the Guild and $15 per entry for non members. All sales will require a 20% commission to the Guild.
- All entries must address the theme and the artist’s statement will be displayed.
- Work cannot weigh more than 40 lbs. and cannot be more than 5 feet in any direction.
- Each 2-dimensional work must have secure hanging devices to hang safely.
- Each 3-dimensional work must have its own safe display device provided by the artist.
- Entries must be original, created within the past 2 years, and cannot have been exhibited at RAG previously.
- All media, including photography, photo montage and collage, are welcome.
- Artists must specify the estimated Fair Market Value for each piece submitted.
- Artists are encouraged, but not required, to provide digital images of their art pieces for publication. Horizontal images tend to look best and should be about 1240px on the longest size and between 400kb and 2mb in size. Images can be emailed to email@example.com.
Fees: RAG members, $10 per piece; Non-member, $15 per piece; all sales will require a 20% commission to the Guild.
Judge: Ellen Burke, Pinehurst, NC
- First Place: $200
- Second Place $150
- Third Place $50
- Honorable Mention Ribbons
- Culinary Arts Special Members Event: Friday, December 2, 2022, evening with Chef Ingram, RCC’s Director of Culinary Baking and Pastry Art Director. Enjoy three free gourmet hors-d’oeuvres and learn how to design and create a Christmas tree cake from handmade ginger cookies.
- Submissions Due: Tuesday, January 3, 2023. Entries are due and received at RAG (109 W 9th St., Lumberton), from 10:00 AM to Noon and from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM.
- Hanging Exhibits: Wednesday, January 4, 2023.
- Opening Reception: Thursday, January 5, 2023, from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM.
- Exhibit Ends: Thursday, March 2, 2023
- Art Removal: Art must remain on exhibit through the run of the Exhibition. The date for art removal is Thursday, March 2 between 10am and Noon and from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM at RAG (109 W 9th St., Lumberton), or by appointment.